Monday, December 21, 2009

A few pleasures from this year

1) The poetry of Dean Young
 Here's an excerpt from a recent poem by Young. You can read the whole piece on the Poetry Foundation website.


Human Lot
by Dean Young


I’m amazed we haven’t crawled off by now.
Later we could go back and cross things out,
that way we wouldn’t know where we came from,
the shapes we asked to be bent into.
Sinatra’d be okay again,
mother the same distal approximation,
the sea still trying to spit it out.
Sometimes your sleep is different than mine.
I can’t catch up.
I don’t know—there are voices tangled outside.
Wind wants to make me correct something,
the refrigerator says something needs to be pushed
further from the sun.
 
2) The poetry of Bob Hicok
 Here are a few spots to check that out: Scythe and Diode 
 
3) The music of Brandi Carlile
She's not new but she's new to me. Her album "The Story," well let's just say I've looped that so 
much my hair should be able to play the guitar tracks on their own. 
 
4) The movie Zombieland because some days require nothing less than a fresh ankle
 
5) Friends and family who put up with my whimsy
 
 Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year to all!






No comments:

Post a Comment